There are two joints on each side of your jaw that allow you to talk and chew your food. These joints are called the temporomandibular joints, also known as TMJ’s, and when they act up or become inflamed, you can be subjected to severe pain and complications. To help you learn more about how to treat your sore TMJ’s, our oral surgeons, Dr. Frank Paletta and Dr. Mo Banki with MSL Surgery in Warwick, Rhode Island, is here to share some advice on how to care for your smile.
Here are some tips on caring for your TMJ’s:
– If your jaw is causing you pain, a heat pack can help alleviate it.
– If your jaw is swollen or inflamed, an ice pack can help reduce swelling.
– Pain and stress to your TMJ’s and your jaw is often linked to stress. Because of this, several forms of meditation can help alleviate the stress you may feel. This can include practicing yoga or listening to relaxing music.
– If you are suffering from a TMJ disorder, it is important to make sure to eat softer foods that will not exacerbate the condition.
– To help keep your jaw safe from TMJ disorders, always practice effective exercises designed to strengthen your jaw.
– If a TMJ disorder is present, visit your dentist for night guards and bite plate treatments.
– Bruxism, arthritis and dislocations with your jaw are all known causes of TMJ disorders.
If you struggle with TMJ pain, then please call us at 401-739-5500 to set up an appointment. Our team specializes in TMJ’s and are happy to give you an appointment to see the best course of action to treat your pain.