Is your mouth receiving the care and attention it needs to thrive? That includes the joints of your jaw. The temporomandibular joints, also called TMJs, are vital for the proper function of your mouth. You’ll want to peruse these tips to see if you have TMJ disorder:
– To protect your jaw, stay away from bad habits like biting your nails and pens.
– If you have had issues with sore jaw joints in the past, you may want to avoid chewing gum or eating overly tough or chewy foods like steak.
– There are many alternative treatment methods designed to deal with the pain and discomfort of TMJ disorder, such as meditating, yoga, music, biofeedback, and stress balls.
– If you are experiencing any pain related to TMJ disorder, heat packs are effective. If you experience any swelling or inflammation, ice packs can help.
– Some TMJ disorders can be created by other ailments in the body. One of these disorders, bruxism, consists of the unconscious grinding and clenching of the teeth, typically while sleeping. This places pressure on the jaw, which in turn causes pain and damage to the jaw, characterizing TMJ disorder.
If you would like Dr. Paletta, Dr. Banki, and our team at MSL Surgery to help you treat your TMJ disorder, please contact our oral surgery office in Warwick, Rhode Island, at 401-739-5500. We look forward to improving the health of your jaw.